Monday, August 30, 2010

We have expanded our den by 2 paws

The traditional phrase, when one has a new baby, is "We have expanded our house by 2 feet", but given I am such an archtophile (someone who is addicted to teddy bears and usually has one with him/her at all times), the 2 paws seemed more appropriate.  Archtophiles in England refer to their bear collections as their "hug". I always liked that idea. Teddies are such unconditional loving, supportive, snuggly creatures. These traits are the ones I am striving for as a new parent.

Jim and I had been trying to have a family of our own for about five or six years. But after miscarriages and unsuccessful infertility treatment, no cub was in sight. So we decided to pursue an open adoption. After waiting 24 months to be chosen by a birth mother, we were selected by a wonderful, strong, loving and courageous woman. She gave us the precious gift of a son, who we named Will, on June 4, 2010. He was seven weeks early and was almost 4 lbs. He had to spend about three weeks in the NICU, but did great and continues to grow at a remarkable rate--10 lb. 6 oz. as of last week.

This entire process of becoming a family has been the most challenging period of my life. There have been some real low points, many completely overwhelming times, but now, much more exciting and joyful times. Each day is an adventure and a blessing.
-Liz


1 comment:

  1. A beautiful presentation! Very clever!!

    Thank you for the invitation. I hope that invitations have gone our to other family members and friends. I look forward to connecting.

    Love you all!

    ReplyDelete